<>

Empathy

I cannot see you as
you knock upon my window
I try
all I have
my eyes
and try as I may
I do not see

I know you cannot hear me as
I picture at your door
you try too
all you have
your ears
and try as you may
you do not hear

in the silence of this dark
together we wait to touch
aware
of our unawareness

but in the motion of my silent voice
you say you can imagine
you say that you are able to
see what I mean

your insight may be enough
to reach beyond
to close my night
for dawn to slowly break
crystal
clear



© Richard Scutter 15 August 2002






Some discussion thoughts on Empathy

All experience is unique. We only see with our eyes, hear with our ears – wherever we go. So can we ever really understand another person.

This is illustrated in the personal encounter between two people by denying a sense to each person (sight and hearing respectively). Stanzas one and two illustrate this sense of isolation. Knock on door is replaced by knock on window, picture at window replaced by knock on window.

Stanza 3 shows the awareness of this separateness. How can sight communicate with hearing? What is the key to bridging the gap? A third sense is needed (touch). How important is touch?

Perhaps imagination is the key to understanding or pretending to understand another. By trying to see for another person (see what I mean)?

The desire for communication may promote a new consciousness, a birth of a new understanding?

How does consciousness grow between the communion of two people? Does 1 + 1 = 3 or more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home